Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Comal

I had never been to New Braunfels when I met my wife, but she and her family had been going to Camp Warneke on the Comal every summer for as long as she could remember.  Longer, actually, I think she went the first time when she was eight months old.
I thought riding an inner tube 100 yards or so down a river - then getting out and doing it again - sounded about as dumb as anything I had ever heard.
Then, I tried it and I was hooked.  The tradition continued. 
We took several long vacations over the years - trips to the Colorado Rockies and Washington D. C. - but according to our daughters, we hadn't really been on vacation until we spent a few days in New Braunfels.
Camp Warneke is long gone, the property absorbed by Schlitterbahn, but the Comal still runs clear and cold.  It is still one of the best vacation spots in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment