Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Diversity

I saw a couple of articles this week saying that Houston is now the most ethnically diverse city in the US.
That's probably a good thing for my home town.  I really don't have an opinion one way or the other, but I am amazed at how completely the city's makeup has changed in my lifetime.
When I was a child, about 2/3 of the population was white.  Now the majority of the population is Hispanic, with another quarter of the population describing themselves as Black, and a rapidly growing Asian population.
One of the articles pointed out that although tribalism still exists - various ethnic groups tend to live in enclaves - the children seem to consider themselves American and often ignore ethnicity when dating.  This is leading toward a boom in multiracial babies - Houston may actually be on the way to becoming the definition of the American melting pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment