Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Murff's Turf

That's a picture of the entrance to Murff Turf Farm on Bohemian Hall Road in Crosby.  
Bill Murff, who passed away earlier this year, founded the business in 1969 while teaching at Crosby High School, and they have been providing grass for Houston area lawns for almost 50 years.
I have bought grass from them, and I have driven past their farm(s) hundreds of times, but I never thought of this question until last night.
 I've  watched them harvest turf, seen them spread liquid fertilizer on the fields, and seen the big irrigation sprayers at work, but I have never seen them bring in any dirt.  Every time they harvest sod, they have to be taking at least 1/2 to 3/4 inches of dirt along with the grass, maybe more, and they have been doing that in some fields for almost 50 years.
So - Why aren't they growing their grass in a hole?

No comments:

Post a Comment