Thursday, October 31, 2013

Roxio Revisited

roxio

It has been almost a month - October 2nd – since I reported an annoying glitch on my laptop.

I suppose that I made some progress in rectifying the situation, since back then it was trying to install Roxio Media Suite (which was already installed and working) but could not find a necessary install (.msi) file.  Now, each morning at start-up, it tries to install Roxio Media Experience.  And it tries, and tries, and tries…and tries. 

I can either sit and click cancel over and over – a dozen times or more – or I can go have a cigarette and a cup of coffee, in which case I may only have to click cancel a couple of times.

As I mentioned before,  I went on-line and tried every solution offered there with limited result.

I tried again today and this time I found an article on the Roxio user forum that I had not seen before.  It confirmed my suspicion that the problem was the result of a Windows update, suggested running something it called the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility and gave a link to the Microsoft Support web page where it could be found.

I went there, and found that the Installer Cleanup Utility has been replaced by something called MS Fixit. 

ms fixit 1

Running Fixit seems to have worked.  I rebooted the laptop and those annoying Roxio pop-ups did not appear!

While on the Microsoft website, I confirmed a rumor that I had heard – Microsoft will stop supporting XP on April 8, 2014.  That’s not great news, but at least I won’t be getting any more automatic upgrades that screw something else up.

No comments:

Post a Comment