Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Way to Go, Cheryl!

paralegal

Our daughter Cheryl is a paralegal who has worked for the same law firm since she moved to Austin a little over fifteen years ago. 

Like any job, she finds it frustrating at times, but she loves what she does, and has come to think of her bosses as family.

Yesterday, she asked them for a raise.

She didn’t just say “Gee guys, it’s been a while and I need more money.”  She called the partners into the conference room and gave them a brief presentation - complete with charts and graphs – covering subjects like the salary range for paralegals in the Austin area, cost of living increases over the last few years, etc.

When she was through, they said “Okay.  Give us a few minutes to see what we can do.”

When they called her back in, they not only offered her a huge raise, they said they wanted to start sending her to Continuing Legal Education seminars at company expense.

I won’t say exactly how much they are giving her, but her raise is considerably more than the annual salary of my first full-time job.

Congratulations, Sweetheart!  I can’t tell you how proud your mother and I are of you.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Daddy!!! Without mom's "boss viewpoint", your "Internet search savvy" and both of your extremely intelligent & helpful input on how to present my case, I would not have had such a fail safe argument!!! Although I made myself sick with worry & stressed to the maximum, I am elated with the outcome & thank you for your encouragement and support! Love you both dearly!!! YEA ME!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is amazing, and it is nice to see that they realize it! Congratulations Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete