Sunday, October 20, 2013

Mirror, Mirror

mirrors

On a forum I follow, a fellow Dodge (Ram) truck owner posted:

Towing mirrors caused check engine light!!!!!
I decided to remove the towing mirrors and replace them with regular rear view mirrors. My truck is a 2013 2500. I bought a pair of mirrors off a guy who had a 2012 2500...everything fit perfectly.
A coupe of says later, the check engine light came on and the temperature display said minus forty degrees. The tranny started shifting funny, slamming into second, and hard down shifting at a stop. I was sure the computer was going bad at 3500 miles!
Took it to the dealer who said the mirror swap caused the problems, because the temperature sensors for my truck are in the mirrors. Ugh....
I swapped the mirrors back, disconnected the battery to clear the check engine light, and all is back to normal....
By the way, I did pay a diagnostic fee of $125.....ouch
Who would have thought????
I had no idea how sensitive the newer computers really are....I guess I can change the oil....ha

When I mentioned it to my wife, she said “Well, that was just stupid.”

“Why is it stupid,” I asked. “The mirrors matched up exactly.  The number of wires may have been different, but the plugs matched and the mirrors worked. There’s no man on earth who would have expected that it would cause a problem.”

She looked at me with a smile and said “No man…that’s exactly my point.”

No comments:

Post a Comment