Friday, October 25, 2013

Genie Transplant

Well, the garage door opener transplant is complete and the operation was a success.

As I mentioned yesterday, although the two openers looked alike from the outside, they were not identical. They were more like fraternal twins that only shared about 90% of the same DNA.

They were bought within a month of each other at two different Home Depot stores, one in Porter and the other in the Austin area.  The model numbers were almost identical, with one ending in 350AG and the other in 350 AGM

I’m assuming that M stands for magnetic, since the carriage (the plastic piece on the end of the chain that connects to the door bracket) on that one has a small magnet imbedded in it which is used to activate proximity switches at the up and down limits of travel.  The non-M model uses mechanical switches with levers that hang down where they can be hit by the moving bracket.  Luckily, I noticed the difference and swapped carriages before I got it installed.

The difference in the wiring patterns turned out to be pretty simple.  I did end up with one extra pair of wires I didn’t know what to do with, but once I determined that they were no longer needed – they went to the other side of the garage to control the opener I was removing - everything was smooth sailing.

Two days of going up and down stepladders did manage to locate  some muscles that I didn’t know I had.  My upper thighs just below my buttocks are really sore today.

No comments:

Post a Comment