Thursday, July 13, 2017

White Squash

One of my all-time favorite vegetables - certainly one of my favorite varieties of squash - is white squash, also sometimes known as white scallop squash.  
It is great baked, but even better fried.  Unfortunately, it has become almost impossible to find at the grocery store.
Our local stores carry multiple varieties of squash - yellow crooknecks and zucchini, acorn and butternut, and because of the Mexican population, they always have chayote. The one squash they never have is the big white squash I crave,  The closest they come is patty-pan squash, which is shaped like what I want, but much smaller and comes in a variety of colors - usually yellow or green - seldom white.
We have grown our own in the past, and its beginning to look like that may be my only option if I ever want to eat white squash again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment