Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Thud

Here at the Boggy Thicket we have a few hummingbirds who stay all year long, so we keep at least one or two feeders filled year round.
Yesterday, I had just stepped out the back door when I heard a loud thud and looked down to see a male ruby throated hummingbird  on the ground about six feet away.  I thought he might have been injured, but before I could take a step toward him, he flew away, leaving a female bird that had been hidden beneath him.
She sat for a couple seconds, then shook herself and flew up to the nearest feeder for a nice long drink.  From there, she flew up to a branch about twelve feet above the feeder looking none the worse for the encounter. 
If what I think was happening actually happened, we may have baby birds in about three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment