Friday, August 5, 2016

Sunflowers

What's wrong with this picture?
Scientists at UC Davis released a report today on a long-term study of why sunflowers follow the sun.  They did various things to torment the flowers - put them in pots and turn them 180 degrees each night, place them in artificial light on a 30 hour cycle, etc. - all to prove what we already knew, that sunflowers actually do follow the sun each day.
As to how they do it, they showed that the shady side of the stalks  actually grow faster.  
And as to why, like most everything else in nature, it comes down to reproduction - they proved that bees are more attracted to warmer flowers, so I guess you could say the sunflowers are just trying to get laid.
Back to my original question - what's wrong with the picture above?  It (and every other photo I found on line) shows  the sunflowers facing away from the sun.  I have no idea why, but I thought it was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment