Monday, July 21, 2014

Grass Pains

Back in early June, I wrote about the sod we ordered to cover the big bare spot where our pool used to be.  Two posts in two days, both very excited and optimistic, and another on the 15th that was still positive but somewhat concerned.

Here’s where we stand today:

The first pallet laid down looks wonderful, but the last one is almost completely dead.  About a third of the grass is dead or dying, and I don’t know why.  Here and there within the brown area there are single rectangles that are lush and green surrounded by others that only have a few green shoots at best.

It all came from the same place, was installed at the same time and got the same amount of water, so why part of it looks great while much of it looks terrible is a mystery.  I think that maybe the sod was harvested using too shallow a cut, leaving the grass without enough root to sustain itself, but I really don’t know that for sure.

I’ve thought of treating the area with root stimulator or something like Medina Soil Activator, and I probably will - but I hate to throw good money after bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment