Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Hobby Lobby II

Several of my left-leaning friends on Facebook have posted links to this article from Forbes which seems to say that Hobby Lobby profits from the very things they objected to providing in their suit against Obamacare.  All of their posts screamed HYPOCRICY! 

I can see why they feel that way, but here’s my take on it:

I pay a professional to administer my retirement account. That account includes several mutual funds.

The big selling points of mutual funds are safety through diversification and professional management so you don’t have to constantly monitor individual stocks and market trends.

So - the funds have managers, and my account has another manager. Although I do get literature from the various funds I have little or no input into what they do.

Do I know what companies are included in those funds? Do I know what each of those individual companies do, make, sell?

No, I do not.

Could one or more of the companies in my portfolio be involved in something I wouldn’t normally condone?

It’s possible – even likely.

So, before you jump on the HYPOCRICY bandwagon, I have a question…..

What’s in YOUR wallet?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment