Saturday, May 17, 2014

Quite a Trek

usa-map

A few years ago, when Honey first started walking for exercise, she could barely make it to the end of the driveway and back. 

She was determined to improve, and she did.  She now walks four miles each morning for an average of 20 miles each week.

We were talking about that this morning and realized that – even with time off recuperating from her dog bite – she has walked over 1,000 miles in the past year!

Honey said something like “If I’d kept going, I would have been out of Texas.”  and I said “Yeah, but you’d be stuck in the desert outside of El Paso.”

Actually, she would have gotten a lot further than that.  Using Google Maps, and assuming she took major highways, I determined that if she:

  • Headed west – she would get almost to Tucson, ending up somewhere past Benson, Arizona. A round trip would have taken her to Pecos County and back, with a U-turn about halfway between Ozona and Ft. Stockton.
  • Headed east – with a right turn at Jacksonville, she could make it to Cape Canaveral, Florida.
  • Headed north – She’d be in Waterloo, Iowa
  • Headed south – assuming she could walk on water, would find her somewhere near Merida, Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula
  • A little east of north – she could make it to the southern suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
  • And northwest – she would be on the outskirts of Denver, Colorado

I have to admit that I’m pretty impressed – and I’m really glad that her daily walks brought her back home.

 

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. I walked 5 miles yesterday and was rather tired (& rather proud of myself) but I certainly didn't repeat the feat (feet) (ha) today!

    ReplyDelete