Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Getting Agitated

agitator

The agitator in our washing machine looks something like the one pictured above.  It is  part of a Roper brand washer, made by Whirlpool, and has given great service for over twenty years.

Just over a week ago, it quit working the way it should – when it’s working properly,  the part on the bottom switches back and forth, and  the upper part that looks like a big screw  turns in only one direction, causing the clothes on top to circulate to the bottom of the tub.  I noticed that the washer sounded different, and when I looked, I found that the upper part wasn’t turning.

A quick check of the mechanism showed that the directional cogs ( or dog ears as they are known to us washing machine experts ) were worn out.  An on-line search led me to easyapplianceparts.com, where I was able to buy an agitator repair kit for $7.87 – a total of $15.36  including shipping.

334650_1_M

I ordered the kit on Saturday, and on Tuesday about 5 p.m., the FedEx guy was dropping it on our doorstep.  I had the washing machine up and running like new by 6 p.m. 

It was a really easy job – the only hard part was getting a non-magnetic 7/16th bolt to stay in my socket wrench long enough to line it up about four inches down inside the top of the agitator.

It’s funny how good even a minor victory can make you feel.  This was not a difficult job – an easy diagnosis of an obvious problem, with a quick and easy fix – but I felt the glow of a job well done for days. 

That glow got a boost as I was writing this.  I went to the website to download the pictures I posted here and found that the price of that repair kit has almost doubled.  Today it is listed at $14.97.

No comments:

Post a Comment