Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I Remember the Smell

odor memory

In yesterday’s post about smells, I mentioned some of my favorites - Gardenias, fresh-cut Pine, Coffee and Leather.  My buddy, Dave Szostek, added Bacon and Gunpowder to the list, and Kirk Dabney pointed out the strong influence odors have on memory.

That brought to mind the memory of several times and locations that are irrevocably tied to smells:

  1. Navigation Boulevard in Houston when the Maxwell House plant was roasting coffee.
  2. The railroad underpass where Washington Avenue becomes the Hempstead Highway, back in the day when the Speas Company still made Vinegar there.
  3. Ocean Drive in Corpus Christi on a foggy morning with the wind from the South -  the primordial smell of the sea.

You probably have some interesting odors in your own memory bank, and I’d love to know what they are.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment