Sunday, September 30, 2012

Worth Too Much

It was only a week ago that I was reminiscing about my adventures as a Boy Scout at Camp Strake.  Today, the Houston Chronicle reports that the Boy Scouts have the property Up for Sale!

I suppose I should not be surprised.  Whatever reason the Scouts may give for the decision, the bottom line is that - located in a rapidly expanding area between Conroe and the Woodlands - the land has simply become too valuable.

The move is not unprecedented.  Camp Hudson, where I learned to swim, was a Boy Scout camp on the banks of Buffalo Bayou.  When it became surrounded by the high-end homes of the Memorial Area,  the Scouts sold the 125 acres. 

That sale brought the Sam Houston Area Council over eight million dollars in 1973.  I can only imagine what 2,200 acres of prime real estate might sell for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment