Thursday, September 20, 2012

Buzzard Bait

buzzard bait

What the Hell is this about?

I wish I could tell you, but I can’t.

A French member of an RV forum I frequent posted a link to a report on touring the Cathar region of southern France.  Among the pictures of his little truck camper, castles and vineyards, was the picture above.

The folks on the left are in medieval costume, those on the right are obviously tourists.  The guy feeding the buzzards is apparently also a tourist since the caption on the picture translates as “Cleaning of the corpses of tourists - Tombs of the Rocks!”

The Google Chrome auto-translate feature would not work correctly on this website. I either got text-only translation with no pictures or pictures only with no text in either English or French.  My one year ( 50 years ago) of college French was not sufficient to learn any more about the scene.

Further on-line research did reveal that the Cathari were last outpost of Gnostic Christians, and a pretty interesting bunch.  I’ll probably have to read more about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment