Monday, September 3, 2012

Faint Praise

cranky_adult_blue

First of all, a list of facts and observations:

Never mind Ben and Jerry’s,  or Bryer’s or Dryer’s, anyone who has ever lived in Texas will confirm that the very best ice cream on the planet comes from the Blue Bell Creamery in Brenham.

Their Peaches & Home-made Vanilla has been a seasonal favorite for years.

The alchemists at Blue Bell have devised a way to keep pie crust crisp and flavorful inside a carton of ice cream, and that has led the way to several truly remarkable new flavor offerings this year.

{I may have mentioned this before, but it’s worth repeating.} 

One of those flavors is Southern Blackberry Cobbler.   I was buying a carton last spring, when the lady at the check-out stand stopped and asked to see my driver’s license.  When I asked why, she said “Because that stuff is habit-forming.”

She was absolutely right.  That stuff  would make the Gods of Olympus come down from the mountain and abandon their ambrosia – it is that good!

Based on the criteria above, when I saw an ad on TV for Blue Bell’s new Southern Peach Cobbler, I couldn’t wait to get to the store. 

I bought some yesterday afternoon and tried it after dinner.  It was good.

Better than just good? 

Yeah.

Great?

Probably.

Everything I hoped for?

Not even close.

In fairness, I’ll have to admit that previous experience had made me set my expectations so high that nobody, not even Blue Bell, could get there.  That bar was so high you probably couldn’t hit it with a Saturn Rocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment