Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9-11-12

IMG_911

It’s September 11th. 

I guess our thoughts today will all go to the events of 9/11/2001 – if they didn’t on their own, the media would certainly remind us – but I’m reminded of something we saw just a little over a year ago. While on vacation with our RVing buddies, the Sheltons, we visited the International Peace Garden on the border between the US and Canada. 

The park is one of those wonderful ideas that doesn’t quite work. Stuck in an almost uninhabited spot between Manitoba and North Dakota, and not even on the road to anywhere, it doesn’t get nearly enough tourists to justify its existence.

One of the “things to see” at the park is the 9-11 Memorial.   Created from ten girders removed from the wreckage of the Trade Centers, it calls on visitors to Recall, Reflect and Remember.

I’ll admit it; I’m not very artistic, but when I took the picture above, I honestly thought the memorial was still under construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment