Friday, September 14, 2012

Underarm Fat

A couple years ago, when I was at my heaviest, my wife remarked that I carried my arms like a cave man.  She said that she would bet that I couldn’t put my arms straight down by my sides.  I was slightly annoyed and maybe a little embarrassed, but I really didn’t let the comment – or the fact that it was true – bother me.

Now that I have lost some weight, I find that I have a condition that is actually causing discomfort.  The fat just below my arm pits is not decreasing as fast as it should, and when I allow my arms to hang at my side it presses on the inside of my upper arm.  It seems to hit a nerve bundle there, and may also be affecting circulation – neither one is a good thing.

A Google search this morning tells me that I am not alone.  There are multiple sites dedicated to this symptom.  I learned, for example, that this is the most commonly Photo-Shopped area of the human body.

Although most sites were dedicated to women, there are several that address the problem in men.

All of them agree that I need more exercise!

Here are some of the suggestions:

Chest Press

Chest press engages your chest and shoulder muscles. Lie back on a flat bench with a dumbbell in each hand. Straighten your arms over your chest with your palms up. Bend your arms and lower the dumbbells until your elbows are bent at 90 degrees. Press the weights up and together over your chest. Repeat for three sets of 15 repetitions.

Barbell Bent-over Rows

Barbell bent-over rows work the back and core muscles. Stand slightly bent over with your feet shoulder width apart. Hold a barbell with your palms facing up. Start with your arms hanging straight and perpendicular to the floor. Squeeze your shoulder blades together and bring the barbell back toward your midsection. Bend your elbows at 90 degrees. Lower the barbell down to the starting position. Repeat for three sets of 15 repetitions.

Stability Ball Skull Crushers

Stability ball skull crushers stimulate the triceps, shoulders and core. Sit on a stability ball with a dumbbell in each hand. Walk your feet forward until your head and shoulder blades are resting on the ball. Extend your arms straight over your shoulders. Face your palms toward each other. Bend your elbows to 90 degrees. Press the dumbbells up and return to the starting position. Repeat for three sets of 15 repetitions.

Lateral Raises

Doing lateral raises targets the shoulder muscles. Stand with a dumbbell in each hand. Space your feet shoulder-width apart. Lift your arms up and out to the sides with palms facing down. Raise the dumbbells up to shoulder-height. Hold this position for two counts. Lower your arms down to the starting position. Repeat for three sets of 15 repetitions.

One video for the ladies

 

And one for men

No comments:

Post a Comment