Well, it's finally done.
I successfully replaced the blown hydraulic cylinder on our 5th wheel trailer.
It didn't go as smoothly as I would have hoped, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been, either. Once I had the cylinder installed, I had a tiny leak at one of the fittings. When I tightened it a little more, it got worse. There are two of these fittings, one at either end of the cylinder, and they each have an O ring. They look like this:
One of them worked great, but the O ring on the other one had to be replaced. Not replacing them to begin with cost me an extra two quarts of hydraulic fluid and ruined a shirt. Still, I guess it could have been worse.
The whole job cost me less than $250.
- hydraulic cylinder 198.00
- O ring 1.00
- hydraulic fluid 20.00
- Gorilla tape 5.00
- two old shirts 10.00
If I had paid to have the job done, the least it would have cost was the $500 deductible on our extended warranty, and I have the satisfaction of a job done right.
I did not add in time since I'm retired and didn't have anything better to do, and I didn't account for all the aches and pains. Crawling around on the gravel under the trailer is rough on a 73-year-old body.
Even so, I'm very pleased with the results.