Friday, August 22, 2014

Planking

PlankPosition-574x172

I’ve known for some time that I was letting myself get out of shape.  Not terrible for a guy my age, but not good. I was to the point that I was a little bit afraid that I might be unable to perform the exercises required to build myself back up without running the risk of causing myself serious harm.

But, I had decided not to put it off any longer. 

I was going to start a regimen of sit-ups and toe touches. Then, while sitting in the Chiropractor's office, I saw a Power-Point presentation that said to never do sit-ups, crunches or toe touches!  When I asked him about it, the doctor said that I should get more serious about walking every day and should start Planking.

For anyone not familiar with yoga, or exercise in general, planking is apparently the in thing with fitness instructors.  It is an almost passive form of exercise – all you do is support yourself on your elbows and toes while keeping your body straight as possible from your heels to the top of your head.  Designed primarily to help tone the “core” muscles of the body – there are lots of before-and-after pictures on line of slobs achieving six-pack abs – I can testify that it will affect your entire body.

I have also learned that, aside from the position resembling a plank, just two days of Planking can leave you stiff as a board and too sore to move.  I’m going to keep at it, at least for now, but if this is starting easy……

 

No comments:

Post a Comment