Friday, August 1, 2014

Lightning

We celebrated the end of July and the beginning of August last night with the arrival of a rare summer cool front.  Temperatures over the next few days are predicted to average about 10° below normal.

As predicted, the frontal passage brought rain – we got about 3/4 inch overnight – but the big attraction here at the Boggy Thicket was the thunder and lightning. 

I have never seen such a show.

When I went out on the front porch around 9 p.m., it wasn’t raining very hard, and the surface winds were totally still, but the thunder and lightning were constant.  During the 10 minutes or so that I was out there, the strobe flashes came one upon the next - so fast that the skies were never dark. It was still going on at 10, and when I woke up at 1:30, it still sounded the same.

It seemed to all be cloud-to-cloud lightning.  I didn’t see any ground strikes at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment