Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Curses - Foiled

et-finger

I could have started this blog post from two totally different directions, so if the next couple of paragraphs seem to jump from one unrelated subject to another, just consider this a sort of prologue to set the stage. 

We have – hold on while I actually count them – a total of six cookie sheets in the drawer under our oven.  The oven would only accommodate two at a time, and there are only two that we ever actually use.  One is a huge aluminum thing that I picked up at a restaurant supply years ago, and the other is smaller; it’s an old steel cookie sheet that we’ve had forever.  That old tray gets used several times a week and washed about once a month.  That’s all the washing it needs because we always line it with aluminum foil.

The tips of our fingers are among the most sensitive areas of the human body.  They have about a gazillion nerve endings, each with a direct expressway to the brain. That’s why blind people read Braille with their fingers and not some other portion of their anatomy, and why nurses and phlebotomists take such malicious glee in poking fingertips for blood samples.

I had always thought that paper cuts were among the most painful injuries a person could sustain – pain far out of proportion to the seriousness of the actual injury – but you have never known real pain until you get a paper cut from the edge of a sheet of aluminum foil! 

I was lining the cookie sheet prior to throwing some biscuits in the oven the other day when I learned this for myself. 

I screamed! 

I made noises and said things never before heard in our house! 

I called that foil things that were physically impossible, even for recycled aluminum!

All I can say is, if you haven’t experienced this for yourself, count yourself lucky, and Don’t Try This At Home!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment