Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A Rainbow of Snakes

 

Killed a pinkish orange or orange-ish pink snake the other night.  If you’re into Pantone colors, it was somewhere between PMS 163 and PMS 1635 on the Pantone Color Chart.

I had never seen one before, and the closest match I could find on line was the Southeastern Crowned Snake, a small non-venomous grass snake that is about the right size. 

crowned snake

I’m not sure this is what I saw because

  1. I stepped on its head before I saw the identifying black band, and
  2. They are mostly found in Alabama.  The documentation says that the far western edge of their range is eastern Louisiana, not eastern Texas.

I was planning on writing about this critter when I got an email, forwarded to me by my sister. 

The woman who wrote it (I’m assuming that the anonymous writer is female) is talking about another colorful snake, one known as an Indigo Snake and also as a Black or Blue Racer.  She says that her dad always told her she should encourage the presence of Indigo Snakes because they killed and ate Rattlesnakes. 

She admits to being skeptical, but now has photographic proof. 

 Picture1a

Picture2a Picture4a

Picture5a

Picture6a

No comments:

Post a Comment