Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Around 60

I think that I may have told this story before, but I did a search and couldn't find it, so....
Back when my wife and I first met, we were both going to Stephen F Austin College in Nacogdoches, and we often came home to Houston on the weekends.
One Sunday evening, I asked her if she would like to drive, and she said yes.  Honey had her license, but very little experience behind the wheel, so driving my MG Midget was a treat.
We headed north on US-59, and I fell asleep about Porter.  Just over an hour and a half later, she was waking me up, parked in front of her dorm.
A few things you need to know -
  • My car was almost new and there was some minor warranty work I wanted done. I had disconnected the speedometer cable so the odometer wouldn't go over 12,000 miles before I could get it into the shop.
  • Highway 59 back then was mostly two lane road with traffic lights in every town.
  • Houston to Nacogdoches is approximately 155 miles.
I looked at her, back at my watch, back at her and said "My gosh, Honey! How fast were you going?"
She pointed at the tachometer and said "I kept it around sixty."

No comments:

Post a Comment