Friday, February 24, 2017

Been There, Done That

I was going through one of those lists that you often see on Facebook, you know the ones - 21 Hilarious Things You Wish You Had Seen - and hit something that sparked a memory.  In this case, the list was unfortunate or amusing headlines from newspapers, and the one that caught my attention said something like:
LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO 
TO BROADCAST 
TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE
I never worked in public (non profit, government sponsored) radio, but I did spend a dozen years or so in commercial radio, and, believe me, that isn't as weird as it sounds.  
In commercial radio, particularly small town radio, if they can sell it, they will air it.Over the years, I did play-by-play on numerous events that were more visual than not, including several  local parades.
In what had to be the most bizarre, I acted as the master of ceremonies for a 4th of July picnic and fireworks demonstration at a resort in Rockport, Texas.  That, in itself would have been okay - it turned out to be a lot of fun - but the station I was working for at the time broadcast the whole thing live.    

No comments:

Post a Comment