Saturday, June 7, 2014

MVP of Grass

When the grass we ordered arrived before dawn yesterday, I confess that I was a little bit concerned.  Instead of a truck full of braceros, there was  only the driver and his daughter, a little girl who was too shy to get to know, but I’m guessing was about eleven or twelve years old.

If you have never tried it, let me assure you that laying sod is extremely hard work.  Honey and I put out two pallets in one day almost thirty years ago and it darn near killed us, so the idea of one person laying five pallets on his own had me worried.

The driver was a handsome and well-spoken black man who was obviously in good physical condition.  He assured me that laying five pallets of grass on his own was no problem  at all.

What he failed to mention was that he was the LeBron James of grass, the MVP of sod.  With the precision of a Joe Montana spiral, he pulled the 12X18 pieces out of the wheelbarrow a tossed them into position.  One tap with his foot on each outside edge  to tighten it up, and he was on to the next piece.

True to his word, he had all five pallets installed, the wheelbarrows and empty pallets tied down, and was pulling out of our driveway by nine a.m.  Five pallets of grass in less than three hours, and he was through for the day – off to enjoy a long weekend.

I am always impressed with anyone who does an outstanding job at whatever they do, but I would pay to watch this man lay grass again.  Actually, I guess that is literally true – we asked him to bring us one more pallet next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment