Saturday, April 27, 2013

Thoughts on a Dead Possum

George Jones died yesterday, and almost every news report of his passing mentioned He Stopped Loving Her Today.

It is, I suppose, the quintessential Country Song – it even made the AARP’s list of 16 songs everyone over 50 should own,  but I have to admit that Jones did others I like even better.

For pure poignancy, it’s hard to beat the Tour:

And for fun, there's always the classic White Lightnin’ and my personal favorite, the Corvette Song:

Whatever your preference, whatever you thought of the man himself, a 50+ year career is impressive.  He was is the middle of a nationwide tour when he fell ill, so he was doing what he loved right to the end.

1 comment:

  1. I've always loved the Corvette Song. Of course, I'm not over 50 yet, so maybe I'll change my mind in a few years.

    ReplyDelete