Monday, April 15, 2013

Mapping Plans

map 

My wife is an extremely organized person, one who always has a specific plan for the future – not to the point of an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, but she always has to have a plan.  The fact that none of those plans ever work out exactly as intended does nothing to lessen her need to have one. 

I, on the other hand, am the exact opposite.  I am as organized as the proverbial pillow fight, and couldn’t tell you what I might be doing ten minutes from now, much less tomorrow or next year.  I wake up in a new world every morning, and I like it that way – it keeps life interesting.

I say all that to underscore how amazing it was – what a wonderful surprise to both of us – that I was able to plan our first big trip after retirement.

You might remember that we had both planned to retire in July, but (in an example of how plans never quite work out) I was offered “early” retirement in April.  In the days while I was home and Honey was still going to work, I set out to plan our trip.  I spent countless hours on the computer and the telephone and created a masterpiece.

By the first of June, I was able to present my bride with a three-ring binder outlining our 7,000 mile loop through the Western US and Canada.  It came complete with

  1. Calendars for July and August - Color-coded and labeled to highlight each stop on the way
  2. Spread-sheet showing each stop and
  3. a) mileage
  4. b) estimated drive time
  5. c) cost
  6. d) contact phone numbers
  7. Google Maps directions to the next stop
  8. Screen shots of each campground home page
  9. Reservation Confirmations
  10. Pictures and articles on things to see and do in each area

I even acquired and included shot records for our dogs.

Honey was dumbfounded – and extremely grateful.  It worked so well that I have been given the responsibility of creating a travel book for each trip since then. 

Honey’s one addition/improvement has been to make labeled tabs to insert before each stop.  That first trip, she moved a paper clip each day to provide for quick access to the next day’s agenda.  The tabs are much more convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment