Sunday, April 21, 2013

Lookin’ Out My Back Door

Maybe not quite as fantastic as what John Fogerty imagines in the Creedence Clearwater classic, but hang around the back door at the old Boggy Thicket, and you’re likely to see just about anything - from the squirrels in the trees, to the hummingbirds fighting over the feeders, to the big old possum with the white patch on its rump that we occasionally see sauntering across the yard between the pool fence and the barn.

Yesterday morning, Honey called me, saying “Bob! Come see what’s happening.  It sounds like dogs fighting, but it’s way up in that tree.”

Well, it wasn’t dogs, and they weren’t exactly fighting, either. 

It was a pair of amorous raccoons who had chosen to hold their tryst in a big oak tree about 45 or 50 feet above the ground.  Not exactly the mile-high club, but pretty impressive.

I ran for my camera. I had to swap lenses, so I didn’t catch them in flagrante delicto, but I did get a shot of them just after -

coons in tree 2

The first one is pretty easy to see – just below dead center in the picture.  If you follow the trunk on up, you can spot the object of his affection peeking out of the leaves.

Just for fun, and because I like it, here’s the song:

1 comment: