Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Some Days, Nothing Goes Right

ARGENTINA/

An Argentinean woman jumped from the 23rd floor of the Hotel Panamericano in Buenos Aires yesterday in an obvious suicide attempt, but it just wasn’t her day.  She landed on a taxi parked at the hotel entrance, which broke her fall enough to save her life.

The 33 year old is now in a hospital intensive care unit after being operated on for multiple injuries, including internal bleeding and broken hips and ribs.

Officials said she had a lung, a kidney and her spleen removed.

Reports in Argentina quoted witnesses as saying the woman ordered a coffee in a restaurant, near the top of the hotel, before taking off her shoes to climb over a safety barrier.

The taxi driver got out of his parked vehicle and ran for safety when he saw a policeman looking up at the woman, the country's state news agency Telam said.

The driver, identified only as 39-year-old Miguel, told reporters: "If I hadn't got out, I'd be dead.

"I felt this explosion and I saw this woman's body sunken into the roof of my cab.

"The first thing I did was call my family. And then I just started to cry - it is really hard to see something like that."

No comments:

Post a Comment