Saturday, June 16, 2018

Ties

No post yesterday.  I was kind of busy.
Honey announced yesterday that she would like to have a shooting  berm here at the Boggy Thicket.
I checked Craigslist and found an almost-local place to get old railroad ties at a good price.  The guy was getting ready to go camping for Father's Day weekend, but said that if I could get there by 2:00 o'clock, he would load me up.  
I got there by 12:30, just in time for a gully washer.  It was raining so hard I almost didn't find the place, but he loaded a bundle of 12 ties on the trailer and I was back home before 2:00.
I had unloading all figured out.  I would tie the load to a tree and just drive out from under them.  Of course, that would have been too easy.  The binding broke and the load shifted to one side, so I was forced to unload them one at a time.
Railroad ties are heavy! A check on line says they weigh from 145 to 200 lbs. apiece.  Old ones probably weigh less, but not much.
It didn't take long - I had unloaded two - for me to decide I was getting too hot and was through for the day.  
Honey was afraid that I was going to hurt myself, or make myself sick, so she called Ernest Graff and he came by and helped me unload the rest this morning.  Actually, he did almost all of the work, acting as protective of me as an old mother hen.
We sure are going to miss that man.

No comments:

Post a Comment