Thursday, January 18, 2018

Jamuary 73

The weather prognosticators are still holding out hope for 70 degrees by Saturday, but there are still patches of snow on the ground, and our overnight low was 22.  Most of the greater Houston area has been on hold for the past couple days - school and work cancelled and folks urged to stay off the roads.
That got me thinking about January of 1973. 
I was working for 3M Company, servicing office equipment.  On the evening of January 10th, a Norther blew in that resulted in snow and ice on the roads in the morning of the 11th.  I went to my first scheduled call as usual, only to find there was nobody there.  After waiting for almost an hour, I went and found a pay phone and called the office.
The sales manager answered and said he was the only one there, and that I was the only technician who had called in.  He told me to go home and get warm.
As I was pulling into my driveway. my pager went off.  I went inside and called the office.  This time, I reached Monte Miller, the service manager for the Houston area.  He told me to "Go do inventory or something, and keep your pager on." saying "There's no way in Hell I'm telling St. Paul, Minnesota that we cancelled work over less than two inches of snow."

No comments:

Post a Comment