Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Drop-Free Zone, Part 2

After almost daily rain in May and June, we went all of July and the first third of August without another drop.  I complained on July 31 that rain that fell nearby bypassed us to the north or south – yesterday heavy downpours moved past to the east and west. 

About 4:00 p.m. yesterday, the wind picked up, the temperature dropped from 105° to the mid 80s, thunder rolled and the lightning flashed but the parched earth of the old Boggy Thicket didn’t get a single drop of rain.  We watched the heavy rains on the radar as they bypassed us once again.

Finally, during the evening news, a light rain began to fall.  It stopped after five minutes or so and I thought that was it – just a tease - Mother Nature’s way of saying I could if I wanted to, but I don’t like you.  At that point, I didn’t like her very much, either.

We did get some significant rain later in the evening.  It was a light rain that lasted for several hours and it came with an amazing light show.  I have never seen lightning that strong and that frequent except in a downpour, but this accompanied what was little more than a drizzle.

Did we get enough moisture to save the severely stressed grass and bushes in our yard?  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment