Sunday, August 2, 2015

Calling Cats

catcall-sign-01-600

I will preface this by saying that I was raised to believe that cat calls and wolf whistles were unacceptable behavior.  No man with any couth whatsoever engages in that kind of foolishness.

That being said, there was news from Austin this week about a woman who says she is being constantly harassed every time she goes for a run.  She says that it’s so bad that she has created a website and started a petition drive to make catcalling illegal.  A KVUE-tv reporter went for a run with this woman last week, and the worst that happened was a couple of horn honks that may or may not have been directed at them.

The woman in question is not the ugliest woman in Austin, but she is not attractive.  I understand that men who catcall have no class, but I guess I always assumed that they were at least somewhat selective. Why expend the effort toward someone who – if they took you up on your suggestion – would make you want to run like Hell? That makes me wonder if there really is  a problem, or is a lot of it wishful thinking on her part.

No comments:

Post a Comment