Friday, July 3, 2015

Eyes Part Two

My eye is continuing to improve – not quite back to normal, but getting there.

I did encounter one problem, and it has me seeing red.

The doctor had given me a prescription for eye drops that contain both an antibiotic and a steroid.  When I called the pharmacy to see if they were ready, I was told that Medicare would not cover them and the out-of-pocket cost if I chose to buy them anyway would be $440!

I called the Doctor’s office and they prescribed an alternative – another brand of eye drop that also contained an antibiotic and a steroid – that I was able to get for $38.

We pay what seems to be an enormous amount for our Medicare Part D coverage, so I’m more than a little ticked off that they wouldn’t cover what the doctor prescribed.  And, I guess that I’m a little disappointed in the doctor for not knowing or caring what Medicare will cover.

That is not what really put me over the edge.

While on line looking for possible alternatives, I learned that the same $440 drops Medicare wouldn’t cover, probably in the same package, were available from a veterinary supply house for $18.89!

No comments:

Post a Comment