Tuesday, July 21, 2015

All Gone

old fashioned

From the late 1960s to early 70s, the average price of a gallon of gasoline in the US was 33₵, but in Houston, Diamond Shamrock sold regular for 29.9 or less, and they gave you a free drinking glass with every fill up.

While they were being offered, we actually collected enough of those glasses to host a fairly large dinner party. The glasses came in various sizes and shapes, and the type of glass being offered changed from week to week, so there were times when I “station shopped” to get the particular style of glass I wanted.

Glass breaks - and over the years our collection went from several dozen down to one – an Old Fashion glass like the one above.  That glass has sat on the counter by the bathroom sink for years, and I used it to take my pills every morning and to stash my dentures every night.  It was the perfect size and shape – I loved that glass.

Glass breaks – and last week I dropped it into the sink where it shattered.  It isn’t irreplaceable.  I suppose there are plenty of other glasses that would work just as well, but the ones I’ve tried so far just don’t feel the same. 

I’m really going to miss that glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment