Monday, April 6, 2015

Sandwiches

sandwiches-2What comes to mind when I say sandwich?  Something like the picture, or something simpler?

I think my wife’s favorite simple sandwich is peanut butter on white bread.  Not peanut butter and jelly, just peanut butter – and not just any white bread, it’s got to be from a Sunbeam brand sandwich loaf.

I like peanut butter, but there is no way on earth that I would eat it alone.  I learned that it stuck to my palate when I was a little kid, and now that I have dentures it would be so much worse.  I also prefer breads with more texture – whole wheat, rye, pumpernickel, just about anything but white.

When I was about seven or eight years old, Gus Brooks, our across-the-street neighbor, made me a sandwich with peanut butter, mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato, and I thought it was great.  Since then, not all of my peanut butter sandwiches have included lettuce and tomato, but if they didn’t have jelly, they had Miracle Whip.  Honey thinks this is an abomination, but I won’t eat them any other way.

Speaking of abominations, my dad’s favorite sandwich was pressed ham and apple butter.  I tried that once, but didn’t get past the second bite.  A sandwich with meat in it should never be sweet – that’s just wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment