Sunday, October 5, 2014

Username In Vain

password

It has been several days (and nights) since I got my repaired and refurbished computer back.  So far, it’s working great, but there have been a lot of issues – before the crash, I was running the 32-bit version of Windows XP Pro; now, I have the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Pro, and several of the programs I used to use are incompatible. I have spent a lot of time coming up with work-arounds and/or  locating and installing replacements.

For example, I print from my laptop via a wireless network.  The print server is the PC in our office (Honey’s computer) that runs XP and is connected to the printer through a USB connection.  There were no compatible print drivers loaded on the PC, and updating the print drivers didn’t help.  Loading print drivers on the laptop required that I disconnect the PC and plug the printer’s USB cable into the laptop to complete the installation.  Once I did that, I was able to plug the PC back in and establish a wireless connection that would actually work.  Not that big a deal, but it took me about two hours to accomplish a print connection that should have been seamless, and should have only taken seconds.

Other problems weren’t that simple.

One of the biggest, and most time-consuming, issues has been passwords.  For security’s sake, I have always used several passwords (not as many as I should) and changed them from time to time (not as often as I should) and remembering which password went with what  account has been darn near impossible.  I have been locked out of several websites before I came up with the correct password and/or user name.

It looks like I will be chasing passwords for quite a while since I still haven’t accessed all of the on-line accounts I use, but I have reestablished contact with those that are most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment