Friday, October 24, 2014

Beautiful Skin

Earlier this week, while watching a TV show, my wife commented that the actress on the screen had beautiful skin.  She wasn’t talking about Hallie Berry, but she could have been – Honey has mentioned her skin several times in the past.  Anyway, that comment got me thinking…

When listing their criteria for beauty, men seldom – if ever – mention skin, but it is obviously important. Beautiful skin is big business. Billions of dollars have been spent on various cosmetics and medicines over the years in the effort to make complexions appear as flawless as possible. 

I think my very first date (or the first one where I actually drove the car) could have been a poster child for beautiful skin. 

Her name was Judy.  She was a friend of my sister and I took her to some school function.  She was of Mexican descent and about four inches too short for her weight, but her skin was perfection, a golden tan that seemed to give off an inner glow.  She was, by our standards, wealthy – her dad owned a couple of parking lots in downtown Houston.  Two city blocks, even in the 50s, had to be worth a fortune. 

I’m pretty sure that we had a good time, but I never asked her out again.

Honey’s interest in skin must be, to some degree, due to the fact that she has psoriasis.  I wish she didn’t, since it bothers her, but it doesn’t bother me. Unless she is pointing out a new patch that has shown up, I never really see it, and  I learned long ago that the perfection the skin encloses is a lot more important than the package it comes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment