Friday, March 28, 2014

Bullet

bullettrain

The mayors of Houston, Dallas and Ft. Worth held a news conference yesterday to throw their weight behind the idea of a high-speed (200 mph) bullet train between Houston and Dallas.

Putting aside environmental issues, landowners losing property via imminent domain, etc., the idea does have some appeal - but I doubt that I would ever ride it.

The train would move commuters between Houston and Dallas in about an hour and a half vs. the roughly four hour drive up I-45.  That looks good on paper, but the current flight time between IAH or Hobby and DFW or Love Field is between an hour and an hour and fifteen minutes. 

I learned long ago that by the time I drove to the airport, found parking, took the shuttle to the terminal, went through security, made the flight, reclaimed my luggage and  caught a cab, I could make it from my home to a Dallas hotel quicker if I just drove.

Driving to Dallas also meant that I had a vehicle available while I was there, and I didn’t have to worry about lost luggage.

No comments:

Post a Comment