Thursday, March 27, 2014

A Recipe for Dave

My friend and former coworker Dave Szostek has a birthday coming soon, and I could have saved this for that – but today’s a slow day, and when I saw this recipe, I immediately thought of him.

Dave had some cardiovascular problems a while back, but he hasn’t let that slow him down.  He is also the world’s greatest champion of the idea that everything goes better with bacon, so when I came across this recipe, I had to post it in his honor:

Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings

BWORBWOR2

 

Start with one large onion.
I cut this into kind of thick rings.
Wrap each ring with a slice of bacon. You can even use turkey bacon if you want, but why would you?
Put them on a baking sheet and freeze for at least an hour.
Remove from freezer and dredge through this mix:
3 c. bread crumbs
3/4 c. flour
1/3 c. corn meal
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
Beat 1 egg with 1 c. ranch dressing.
Dip dredged rings through this and again through the crumb mix, making sure the rings are completely covered. You can gently press flour mix to any bare spots.
Heat oil to 375'-400'. Fry rings for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove to paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
Serve with BBQ sauce or additional ranch dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment