Saturday, September 21, 2013

PC Problems

I mentioned  on Thursday that our office PC had crashed and it was going to be replaced.  I’m not sure yet whether we are going to keep the replacement or not, but just picking it up yesterday almost cost me my life!

Rick, the guy we got it from, is a full-time IT guy with a major corporation, and sells refurbished Dell computers – he is a licensed reseller - out of his home.  Because of the heavy rain yesterday, he was leaving for work early, and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to get to his house before he left.  We made arrangements for him to leave the computer on the back seat of his SUV in his driveway – I was to put the money in the car and lock it on my way out.

The rain had let up when I pulled in to the driveway, but the darned SUV was locked. 

I had just turned to head for his house when the front door blew open and a huge young man with an aluminum baseball bat ran out yelling at the top of his voice -

“What the @%#%@ do you think you’re doing? 

Get the %&@# away from my car!”

Rick lives in a nice enough, middle class, subdivision, but all the houses look pretty much alike, and I had only been there once before in daylight.  It turned out that I had stopped two houses too soon.

After several tense moments, I was able to leave unscathed, and the computer was right where Rick said it was going to be.

I am still a proponent of the 2nd amendment, but I spent the whole drive home – the whole day, in fact – thanking all the gods that the guy came out with just a baseball bat in his hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment