Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Grand Day – And a Few More

Tomorrow is National Grandparents’ Day, a holiday that has been around since the 1970s.  Back in 1978, President Jimmy Carter signed a proclamation making the first Sunday after Labor Day a national holiday to honor grandparents.  Like a lot of what Carter  said, it hasn’t had much effect.

Here at the Boggy Thicket, Grandparents’ Day is pretty much ignored, but we do celebrate Grandsons’ Day the following weekend.  That’s because our two grandsons were born in mid-September – Bryce on September 13 and Nash, three years and three days later on September 16th. 

That means that the third weekend of September will almost always include one of their birthdays, or the days in between.  I tried to come up with a formula that would predict how often that occurs, but I’m missing some factor because I get a probability of over 100% when by just moving days around the calendar I can see that the probability is more like five years out of seven, and I know that back in 2011, Nash’s birthday was a Tuesday and Bryce’s a Friday.  Still, most years there’s a weekend in there somewhere.

And that means that we always drive to Liberty Hill for their birthday party.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry!! I should be more observant & clue others in . . . Honestly, I haven't heard any hubbub about it & just haven't had grandparents in so long that it never occurred to me :(

    I do now have a couple granddaughters (& 1 on the way) but, they are toddlers & are just getting to know me & Gene as grandparents. Hope one day they will think of & remember us on Grandparents' Day!!

    If it's any consolation, I was over visiting yesterday & Bryce worked most the day & Nash slept off his pain meds most the day and none of us remembered.

    Sorry Gram & Granddaddy!! We love you lots though!!

    ReplyDelete