Saturday, September 28, 2013

Counterfeit Towels

bounty

I consider myself something of a connoisseur, an expert – some might even say snob – when it comes to paper towels, and for my money, the best on the market is Bounty Select-A-Size.

They are soft, highly absorbent, and  a single Select-A-Size sheet is just big enough for most  cleaning jobs.  If you need a larger towel, two of them form a square, while a “regular” sized paper towel does not.

There may actually be a better paper towel out there, but once I settled on Bounty, I quit looking.  I will only buy something else in an emergency.

I normally buy my towels at Wal-Mart in one of those huge packages that fill the bottom shelf of the shopping cart.  Recently, while grocery shopping at H-E-B, I saw that they had the same sized package on sale with one of their little yellow in-store coupons so I grabbed a package to save myself an extra trip.

Boy, was that a mistake!

These towels are stiff, non-absorbent, don’t tear well at the perforations – generally some of the worst paper towels I’ve ever seen.

They don’t even look the same.  As you can see in the picture above, the Real Bounty towels (on the left) have a diamond pattern while the ones I bought at H-E-B have hexagons.

We put up with them for a few days, then I went to Wal-Mart and bought another package of the good stuff.  I put the hex pattern rolls in a garbage bag and stashed them in the garage.  At this point I haven’t decided what I’ll do with them, but they are definitely not coming back into the house.

Paper towels aren’t exactly Gucci Bags, but these towels were so bad that I’m convinced that I (and probably H-E-B) was the victim of counterfeiters.

No comments:

Post a Comment