Thursday, August 22, 2013

What Doesn’t Kill Me

Friedrich Nietzsche, in Twilight of the Idols, said “What does not destroy me, makes me stronger.”  I doubt that the thought is original with old Freddy, but look it up and he always gets the credit. 

It is an inspirational sentiment that is actually true at least some of the time,  and I thought of that quote this week as I looked around my yard.

When we got back to the Boggy Thicket after our recent trip, the hot dry Summer had almost destroyed our yard.  The grass was brown and crunchy underfoot, and many of the shrubs (and a few of the trees) were dropping leaves.

Among the hardest hit were our Saucer Magnolias.  They had dropped almost all of their leaves, and the few still attached were drooping and turning brown.

Of course, we began a routine of daily watering and we have had a couple days with significant rain since we got home.  I’m happy to report that the yard is coming back, and yesterday our Saucer Magnolia seemed to be proclaiming victory over the drought.

magnolia

Still no new leaves, but there are blossoms on every branch.  There are more blooms than I’ve ever seen before, even when it is blooming in season.

No comments:

Post a Comment