Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Skipping Lunch

Over the past week, via a series of emails and phone calls, we had arranged a get-together with an old and dear friend. 

He had first contacted me, but failed to suggest a time and place. Then finally, in a phone call on Sunday, said he and his wife would be at our place on Tuesday morning.

They were supposed to be here between 10:30 and 11:00, and when they did not show up, Honey wanted me to call.  I would not because

[a] They’re always late

[b] I didn’t want to seem overly concerned

[c] Calling while they’re pulling into your driveway is embarrassing

Finally, just before noon, Honey called and got the wife who had no idea what she was talking about.  Although my pal had said several times during our conversations that he had to consult her about a time and place, he had never mentioned the planned visit to her at all.

At this point, my friend realized who was on the phone and told his wife “Oh, we were supposed to be at their place at 10:30.”

I honestly don’t know what to think.  They’ve had a lot on their plate lately, and a lot going on this week – and he’s never been the most responsible person in the world – still, the pattern of behavior makes me wonder if he’s losing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment