Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Wake Up Call

I was, as they say, minding my own business. 

I was leaning against the gas grill, having my first cigarette of the day while I waited for the cobwebs to clear out of my groggy mind, when a big oak limb fell to the ground right behind me, breaking into several pieces.

fallen limb

I won’t say it almost hit me – the nearest it came was about eight feet away – but it was big enough and fell from high enough that when it hit the ground I felt the thump through my feet. 

It definitely woke me up.

Our two dachshunds were in the yard with me when it happened.  Dusty, the little red one, immediately looked up and started barking at the tree where the limb broke off. 

Tinker, our black and tan, didn’t make a sound, but she ran over and attacked the fallen limb.  She bit big chunks of rotten wood off the ends of at least two of the three largest pieces.   I will admit that I’m not sure what Tinker was thinking, but I’m pretty sure that she wanted to make damn sure that limb didn’t do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment