Saturday, June 15, 2013

Flag Day – the Morning After

tattered flag

The County maintenance crews were out this week, mowing the ditches with their big three-mower bush hogs.  Today, on our morning walk, I glanced over to see in the leftover hay and assorted litterbug debris the mangled remains of an American Flag.

I don’t know why it bothered me so much. 

It is, after all, just a scrap of cheap cotton – the kind mass printed by the thousands in some third-world country for sale here.  It was probably bought at a big box store or at a fireworks stand.

At its best, it was never more than a cheap representation of our national emblem.

I don’t know why it bothered me so much.

But it did.

I collected the flag and will dispose of it with appropriate respect later today.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bob, thanks for taking care of that. Another FB friend said her neighbor's lawn crew did the same thing. At least pick it up, if you saw it after it happened. Or if before, stop and move it, or mow around it. As a taxpayer, I'd pay for the "lost time."
    And thanks for being bothered. So am I. mbp

    ReplyDelete